Gertrude’s Launches Centennial at Raspberry Festival
The Benedictine Sisters cordially invite all families, oblates, volunteers, employees, SGA alumni, benefactors and other friends of the Monastery of St. Gertrude to come and join the fun and excitement as they open a full year of Centennial celebrations at the 16th Annual Raspberry Festival on Sunday, August 3, 2008 in Cottonwood, Idaho.
In 1882 foundresses Mother Johanna Zumstein and Sisters Rosalia Ruebli and Magdalene Suter came to the United States from Sarnen, Switzerland. They lived and worked at Gervais, Oregon before moving to Uniontown, Washington in 1884 and then to Colton, Washington in 1894. In 1907 Mother Hildegard Vogler brought the Sisters to Idaho with the intent to establish a permanent community. On April 26, 1909 St. Gertrude’s was officially declared the Motherhouse — marking the beginning of 100 years of Benedictine presence on the Camas Prairie. The journey “home” had taken 25 years.
Beginning with Raspberry Festival, the Sisters are having a Year of Jubilee from August 2008 to August 2009 to mark this special Centennial event: 1909 – 2009…“Celebrating 100 Years ‘at Home’ in Idaho”. In addition to a new, commemorative display at the Historical Museum at St. Gertrude this fun-filled, family-focused Centennial Grand Opening includes a 10K Raspberry Fun Run / 5K Shortcake Walk (registration starts at 7:00 a.m.) and cowboy breakfast (starts at 8:00 a.m.) plus an ALL DAY, 8-game Kids Carnival, famous raspberry shortcake, BBQ beef sandwiches, car show, live music, quilt show, cultural and craft demonstrations, silent auction, Grand Prize raffle, raspberry products, Museum visits, Chapel tours and an arts and crafts fair with more than 40 vendors.
All proceeds from the Raspberry Festival benefit the Historical Museum at St. Gertrude. For more information or directions, contact the Museum by e-mail at museum@StGertrudes.org or by phone at 208-962-2050.
For more information on the Centennial celebrations please contact the Monastery of St. Gertrude by e-mail at monastery@StGertrudes.org or by phone at 208-962-3224.
Please plan now to join the Sisters at Raspberry Festival as well as at the following highlight celebrations. All are welcome to attend!
August 16, 2008--50th anniversary of Monastic Profession for Sisters Ida Mae Fuchs, Clarissa Goeckner and Bernadette Stang; Monastery Chapel, 1:30 PM.
September 14, 2008--Feast of St. Hildegard FREE concert; Monastery Chapel, 2:30 PM.
September 18, 2008--Historical Museum’s Fall Lecture Series, “C.E.S. Wood and the Nez Perce”; Spirit Center, 7:00 PM.
September 25, 2008--Historical Museum’s Fall Lecture Series, “All the News That’s Fit to Sing: Scandals, Politics & Slander in Song”; Spirit Center, 7:00 PM.
October 2, 2008--Historical Museum’s Fall Lecture Series, “Celebrating 100 Years ‘at Home’ in Idaho”; Spirit Center, 7:00 PM.
October 9, 2008--Historical Museum’s Fall Lecture Series, “Steaming on the River”, Spirit Center, 7:00 PM.
October 24 - 26, 2008--Oblates mark 20th anniversary of their founding.
November 16, 2008--Feast of St. Gertrude FREE concert; Monastery Chapel, 2:30 PM.
December 14, 2008--Cottonwood Community Choir Christmas Concert; Monastery Chapel, 7:00 PM. Featuring selections by the Sisters.
January 1, 2009--Beginning of readings from Monastery’s history during noon meals (readings will occur daily until the Grand Finale on August 16).
January 18 - 25, 2009--Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, focused on biblical Jubilee themes.
February 22, 2009--Feast of Sts. Benedict and Scholastica FREE concert; Monastery Chapel, 2:30 PM.
April 26, 2009--Official date of St. Gertrude’s being named the Motherhouse of the Benedictine Sisters. Special “Thank You” celebration for the people of the Camas Prairie.
July 11, 2009--50th anniversary of Monastic Profession for Sisters Mary Kay Henry, Mary Geis, and Cecile Marie Uhlorn; Monastery Chapel, 1:30 PM.
July 29, 2009--Pilgrimage to Uniontown and Colton to celebrate roots there and to mark the transfer of the Motherhouse to Cottonwood.
August 2, 2009--17th Annual Raspberry Festival.
August 16, 2009--Grand Finale Celebration; outdoor Mass; reception.
The Monastery in 1910.
Pictured from left to right are Monastery of St. Gertrude foundresses Sister Magdalene Suter (1849 – 1913), Mother Johanna Zumstein (1850 – 1926) and Sister Rosalia Ruebli.