Historical Museum at St. Gertrude – 75th Anniversary
During 2006, The Historical Museum at St. Gertrude is celebrating its 75th anniversary, making it one of the longest continuously operating museums in the Northwest. Begun in 1931 by Sister Alfreda Elsensohn, the museum continues to reflect the history of North Central Idaho. Exhibits pertain to the first residents, the Nez Perce; to the settlement of the area; to the ranching, farming, logging, and mining in the region; to weapons of the past; to an exquisite Asian and European collection; to the history of the sisters of the Monastery of St. Gertrude; and much more. The museum staff invites you to visit the museum to see the improvements that have occurred over the last five years, to see the new exhibits, and to reminisce about the “good old days”.
To celebrate this 75 year milestone, the museum plans several activities during the year including the 14th Annual Raspberry Festival, a variety of lectures, a Smithsonian traveling exhibit in October/November, and more.
We are compiling a monthly feature entitled “75 Years Ago This Month” for the Cottonwood Chronicle. We hope you enjoy this historical venture. We welcome your comments.
Lyle Wirtanen, Director75 Years Ago This Month – April, 1931
(Compiled by Sister Bernice Wessels, Museum Technician)
Students attending St. Gertrude’s Academy will present a play at the local theater during the third week of April.
36 hours of incessant rain, the heaviest storm experienced in the Inland Empire for years, turned rivers into floods, streams into torrents, carried out bridges, covered railway tracks with dirt and gravel slides and tied up every railway line in this district except the one operating between Grangeville and Lewiston. The total damage throughout the Northwest is estimated at a million dollars.
The Columbia River is reported to have risen 12.6 feet above its usual level, having risen 6.6 feet in 24 hours.
From THE BAKER MERCANTILE: Smart spring footwear at lower prices. New models in sport oxfords and trim graceful pumps. Also strap slippers. $2.88 & $3.95
A disastrous fire broke out in the grain warehouse of the Ferdinand Grain Co. It destroyed the property, the Vollmer-Clearwater warehouse across the tracks, a stock of lumber owned by Oswald Peterson, and did damage in the amount of more than $100,000 before being brought under control.
Miss Margaret Agnew, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.T. Agnew won first honors in piano music in Lewiston in the annual district high school competition.
Mrs. B. L. Hussman was admitted to the hospital. She became the 100th patient since it opened last November 4th.
Cottonwood, Gifford, Craigmont, and Grangeville schools will participate in a sub-district commercial contest at Cottonwood on the 18th. Grangeville will enter 3 students.
About five inches of snow fell the latter part of the week, followed by warmer weather and heavy rains.
Catherine Helen, the 15 month old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Wren died from pneumonia. Father Jentges officiated at the funeral.
Grangeville school band which was organized last fall under the direction of R. K. Harris will present a concert April 15. The band has 38 members, ranging from the fourth grade to the senior year in high school.
National & International Events
Little Orphan Annie debuts on radio.
Hostess “Twinkies” invented.
17 year old Jackie Mitchell, the first woman to play baseball in the minor leagues and to be signed to an all-male team as a pitcher, pitched an exhibition game against the New York Yankees and struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. The next day, the Baseball Commissioner voided her contract, claiming baseball was too strenuous for women. The ban was not overturned until 1992.
An earthquake destroyed Managua, Nicaragua killing 2000.