II Fire Restrictions Effective Friday, August 3
George Bacon, Director – Idaho Department of Lands, declared that Stage II Fire Restrictions will go into effect Friday, August 3 at 12:01 a.m. on all state and private lands within north Idaho. This area includes the counties of Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, Shoshone, Benewah, Latah, Nez Perce, Clearwater, Lewis and Idaho (north of the Salmon River).
Under Stage II Restrictions, the following is prohibited:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire;
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
3. The following acts are prohibited between the house of 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.:
· Operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine for felling, bucking, skidding, processing, road building, woodcutting and firewood gathering.
· Blasting, welding or other activities that generate flame or flammable material.
A patrol is required for one hour following cessation of all activities. These restrictions are commonly referred to as “hoot owl.”
4. Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails.
These restrictions will remain in effect until rescinded by Director Bacon. Contact the nearest Idaho Department of Lands Fire Warden for specific information about this Stage II Restriction Order.