and Brew winners are named
The First Annual Bräts and Brew competition put on by the Prairie Community Library was a big success. There were lots of nice decorations and the tables were all named with different German towns. There were 15 entrants in the competition with an assortment of good brews (gut trinkin) and good foods (gut essen).
The results were:
* Denis Duman and Pepper Harman won the sausage competition with Uncle Gillie’s German Sausage.
* Sonnen Meats won the commercial category with Sonnen’s German Sausage.
* Judy Uhlorn had the best side dish with her Bavarian Sausage Hot Pot-Bayerisher Wursteltopf.
* Best dessert went to Shirley Gehring with her Mincemeat Pie-Hacksleisch Pastete.
* Best brew was Bill Schumacher‘s Pale Ale.
Other entrants were:
Lyle Kuther (Breakfast Patty)
Neil Wassmuth (Wassmuth Family Sausage)
Western Meats (Jalapino Cheddarwurst)
Marge Duman (German Hot Potato Salad-Kartoffelsalat)
Diana Schmidt (German Potato Salad-Kartoffelsalat)
Judy Uhlorn (Pumpkin Streusel Custard-Kurbis Streusel Eiercreme)
Gail Dillard (Buttercakes-Buterkuchen)
Teresa Bryant (German Chocolate Sauerkraut Beer Cake-Krautkuchen)
Pollyanna Candalot (Wild Mild Ale)
John Candalot (Hunters Moon Brown Ale)
Rounding out the meal were scalloped potatoes-kartoffleauflauf, old fashioned sauerkraut and German bread-brot made by the Prairie Community Library Board. No one went home hungry and we received many good comments on the food. It was hard to decide which one to vote for. There are definite plans to have another Bräts and Brew competition next year which will be even bigger and better.
This event was a fundraiser for the Prairie Community Library as we are an all volunteer library and receive no government funding. We need to raise the money to cover our pledge toward the Cottonwood City Hall renovation and to do some remodeling in the library itself.